[Samba] another printing question

Tony McGrew tony at multicam.com
Tue Aug 13 14:20:01 GMT 2002

I have got the printing working with CUPS finally on all of my printer.
Took a while but they are printing with no errors.  What they are not doing
is feeding back the print status, and not all of them are consistent.  I
have a HP2000C that gives me a failed to open retrying error in the W2k
printers window.  I have a minolta d350 that always comes back blank, even
though there are maybe 50 jobs printing.  I have a HP 4000N that does the
same thing as the minolta.  My system is RH7.3, cups 1.1.15 (the print
queues are set up as raw) and samba 2.2.5 (ldd `which samba` shows compiled
for cups).

Below is the relevant parts of the smb.conf file.

[global]
	workgroup = MULTICAM
	server string = PFS Samba Server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 1000
	printcap name = cups
	dns proxy = No
	printing = cups
[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = tony
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	use client driver = Yes
	browseable = No
[HP4000N]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = tony
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	printer name = HP4000N
	use client driver = Yes
	oplocks = No

[min2]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = tony
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	printer name = Min2
	use client driver = Yes

[HP2000C]
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printer admin = tony
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	postscript = Yes
	printer name = HP2000C
	use client driver = Yes

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
BTW I have a bunch of file servers running and they all work just great.
Y'all are doing a fantastic job.  Are you still looking for pizza?

Tony McGrew
WWW.Multicam.com