[Samba] Samba for a Corporate File Server?

Ken McCord ken at themccords.com
Tue Aug 13 02:33:02 GMT 2002

Bill William wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm been following samba for six or seven odd months now in
> preparation for moving our organisation over to a file server which is
> a little more cost effective than the Micro$oft alternative.
>
> We are currently running with about 30 users on a Windows 2000 Small
> Business Server. Do you see any problems in replacing this server with
> a linux box running Samba? Is the file system/server as stable as
> Microsoft or Novell?
>
> I see some quite big players moving this way and would like to get the
> opinions of those that perhaps have made this move before we decide to
> go any further.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill William.

Hi Bill,

We support about 250 PCs and Macs (using Samba and Netatalk) running an
IBM xSeries 330 with about 1 TB of attached storage.  We had some
initial problems at first, not with Samba, but with the version of the
XFS filesystem included with Debian 3.0 (I've filed a bug with them over
this).  Using XFS 1.1 from sgi fixed our problems.  We've now been up
over 65 days without a reboot (and that was for power maintenance).

We've been running Samba here for almost 3 years, and it's been *very*
reliable.

Good luck!

Ken McCord
MIS Manager