[Samba] Samba for a Corporate File Server?

Kai Blin kai.blin at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Aug 13 02:25:01 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 13:06, Bill William wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hi

> I'm been following samba for six or seven odd months now in preparation for
> moving our organisation over to a file server which is a little more cost
> effective than the Micro$oft alternative.
>
> We are currently running with about 30 users on a Windows 2000 Small
> Business Server. Do you see any problems in replacing this server with a
> linux box running Samba? Is the file system/server as stable as Microsoft
> or Novell?

We're running a 300+ users environment with about 100 WinNT/2000 clients here,
with a Samba 2.2.3 server (PDC, file services). We still have an NT server
around for some propietary applications, but even without much load the NT
box isn't nearly as stable as the samba server.

> I see some quite big players moving this way and would like to get the
> opinions of those that perhaps have made this move before we decide to go
> any further.

I don't know where you start counting big players, but I'm sure even bigger
shops use samba.
Oh, we also do print services with samba, it's less hassle that way :)

Cheers, Kai

--
Kai Blin 	Linux system administrator 	Tel: Ring-86592
Allgemeine Chirurgie 	Universitaetsklinikum Tuebingen

"I'd love to go out with you, but it's my parakeet's bowling night."