[Samba] Unable to open new log file /usr/local/samba/var/log.smbd: Too many open files

Simon Poels simon at poels.com
Mon Aug 12 01:20:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a weird problem using Samba 2.2.5 on a Slackware 8.1 Linux
distribution and a Compaq Proliant 3200 machine.

Normally everything works just fine, but when opening an assembly
drawing in a CAD application on a W2K client, which consists of a lot of
sub-drawings, all connections to this client are closed, and following
lines are written to the smb log.

[2002/08/06 12:43:09, 0] lib/debug.c:reopen_logs(348)
  Unable to open new log file /usr/local/samba/var/log.smbd: Too many
open files
[2002/08/06 12:43:09, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(349)
  Couldn't find account joel
(repeats 20 times)

Problems are solved when closing the drawing again. Then everything
works fine again.

In my attempt to reproduce the problem I wrote a small windows
application that opens many files. Even when it had opened 3200 files
there was no problem. So there is no problem opening lots of files
simultaneously.

I really don't have a clue anymore.
Who can help?

Regards,