[Samba] Can not access linux printer from windows

Nishikant Kapoor nkapoor at webrachna.com
Thu Aug 8 21:39:02 GMT 2002

All,

I have a linux machine running Mandrake 8.2 and a windows machine
running Windows 2000. The printer (aprinter) is installed on the linux
machine and I am trying to access it from windows. I can access all the
linux directories and files from my windows machine and even setting
up 'Network Printer' on windows also went through fine but when I
try to print a test page, I get this message 'Access denied, unable
to connect'

Can anyone help me with this ? It looks like a user permission
issue. I am logged in as 'Administrator' on windows and 'nkapoor' on
linux machine but the user 'Administrator' exists on linux machine
as well.

Here is partial smb.conf:

#================= Global Settings =========================
[global]

   workgroup = Workgroup
   server string = MandrakeLinux Samba Server %v

# 2. Printing Options:
# CHANGES TO ENABLE PRINTING ON ALL CUPS PRINTERS IN THE NETWORK
# (as cups is now used in linux-mandrake 7.2 by default)
# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = lpstat
   load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx, cups
   printing = cups

# Samba 2.2 supports the Windows NT-style point-and-print feature. To
# use this, you need to be able to upload print drivers to the samba
# server. The printer admins (or root) may install drivers onto samba.
# Note that this feature uses the print$ share, so you will need to
# enable it below.
# This parameter works like domain admin group:
# printer admin = @<group> <user>
  printer admin = @adm

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = share

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd