[Samba] winbindd ping failing

James S. Martin james.martin at digex.com
Mon Aug 5 09:59:02 GMT 2002

I've followed the steps on
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/winbind.html for setting up winbind.
  I was able to add my machine to the domain as specified using
smbpasswd (though I did not do it using the AD tool on Windows, do I
need to?), the smbpasswd cmd said it joined successfully.  I verified
that the machine account was created on the AD.  I then restarted smb,
and started winbind.  When I do a wbinfo -u I get "Error looking up
domain users"

If I do a wbinfo -p it pings winbind successfully.

So I reckon there's something wrong.  I'm using RH 7.2, with the
samba-2.2.5 RPM from the samba website.

  The global section of my smb.conf is below.  Could someone give me a
hint to what's going on?

Thanks,

James

[global]

winbind cache time = 10
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%D/%U
winbind uid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
security = domain
password server = *
log level = 1 # Default is 0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
dead time = 15 # Default is 0
getwd cache = yes
wins server = 10.1.2.21
server string = have a nice day