[Samba] Uploading Printer Drivers with XP

Philip Burrow phil.burrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 4 01:08:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

> I have a hopefully simple question (although my previous questions I
> thought were simple received no responses.lol).
> I am trying to get the automatic printer driver downloading working.  I
> followed all the instructions, but I'm still having some problems.
> When I get to adding the printer driver by navigating to the printer
> share (print$) and selecting properties on the printer, then doing the
> add new driver, it asks me for the printer model, and I tell it and
> click finish then it wants me to specify  where the driver is locally.
> I don't have a local printer driver, and was wondering how I tell it to
> use the driver windows has built in (this is possible isn't it?).
> Basically, where in Windows XP should I be looking for my HP LaserJet 4M
> Plus 's driver?

Well, when I do it, it prompts me to choose from a list of Windows-supported
printers (as it would in add new hardware for instance), so I select the one
and it uploads the driver and thats it. In any case, once you've installed
one driver you can tell it to use another by clicking the additional driver
button in the printer's properties. Try getting the (non-digitally signed)
HP drivers from hp.com, because you can unpack them into a directory and
then just tell Windows to use that - it should upload them to the server's
print$ share.

I've got this working with a LaserJet 5 which uses the pretty much the same
set of drivers as the LaserJet 4.

I had a few problems with this but most were solved when I logged on the the
domain I'm using, rather than use it as a workgroup.

P.