[Samba] NetBIOS problems in presence of audio stream?

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Fri Aug 2 06:39:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 01:34, Steve Thom wrote:
> Make certain your server netbios name is not the same as your NT or www
> domain name. Wins freaks over things like that, often causing the network
> neighborhood to disappear altogether.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. I haven't seen this
documented anywhere else.

An "NT" name, would be considered by most, the same as the NetBIOS name.
When one names an NT box it is the NetBIOS name. Same is actually true
of Windows 2000 and later, the hostname is still the NetBIOS name even
though in a Windows 2000 AD domain the FQDN is used as the primary
naming convention along with its resolution tools (DNS) as opposed to
the NetBIOS name and its tools (WINS).

Since the FQDN is usually of the "hostname.domain.tld" variety virtually
all Windows boxes have the same hostname and NetBIOS name. And every
Samba box I have set up also maintains this relationship (by choice of
course). It is simply easier, at least on an administrative level, to
keep the hostname equivalent to the NetBIOS name.

Since WINS only deals with NetBIOS names and knows nothing about the
FQDN, or any other names, I can't see what would actually cause it to
"freak", nor have I seen this in practice.

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here, but your post has me perplexed.

Chris