[Samba] Print jobs hang in Samba, don't go to UNIX spooler

Windsor Dave (AdW/MOE2.1) Dave.Windsor at us.bosch.com
Thu Aug 1 11:14:01 GMT 2002

I'm running the lp spooling system that comes with
HP-UX.  I don't think that the spooler itself is a
problem, as I have no trouble printing from a shell
prompt.  The lp command in the print command does not
point to a symlink, but I'll try it with an absolute
path, just in case.  However, since the "echo" isn't
being performed either, it looks like the print command
isn't being executed at all.  Here's what my print
command looks like. taken almost directly from an example
in the smb.conf man page:

print command = echo Printing %s on %p >>/tmp/print.log; lp -c -d%p %s; rm
%s

Nothing ever appears in /tmp/print.log.  The weird thing
is that all was fine until yesterday afternoon, when
printing just......stopped.  No changes were made on the
system to either Samba or the lp spooler.

Best regards,

Dave Windsor
AdW/MOE2.12
Team Leader, Test Systems Engineering