[Samba] Cross-subnet browsing issue

Simon Detheridge simon at symdata.com
Tue Apr 30 06:20:03 GMT 2002

Hi there,

I have a problem regarding browsing across subnets, on a VPN I am setting up.

We have two subnets, connected via an ipsec connection. 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0. All the machines on subnet 192.168.2.0 can see all the machines on subnet 192.168.1.0, but those on 192.168.1.0 can only see the machines on their own subnet, plus the local master for 192.168.2.0.

So, it seems as if HomeServer (see below) is notifying OfficeServer correctly that it exists, but is failing to tell it about the other machines on it's subnet. I can sucessfully type '\\home1\sharename' from any of the office machines, with no problems. So the machines are able to communicate with each other, and look each other's names up across the subnets... But the browse list isn't getting organised properly.

Our network is set up like this:

---

Office network ( 192.168.1.0 )

OfficeServer - 192.168.1.1
Domain Master = Yes
Local Master = Yes
Preferred Master = Yes
Os Level = 100
Wins Enabled = Yes

Office1 - 192.168.1.100
Win9x client
Wins Server = 192.168.1.1

Office2 - 192.168.1.101
Win2k client
Wins Server = 192.168.1.1

Office3 - 192.168.1.102
WinXP client
Wins Server = 192.168.1.1

---

Home network ( 192.168.2.0 )

HomeServer 192.168.2.1
Domain Master = No
Local Master = Yes
Preferred Master = Yes
Os Level = 65
Wins Server = 192.168.1.1
Wins Enabled = No

Home1 - 192.168.2.100
Win9x client
Wins Server = 192.168.1.1

Home2 - 192.168.2.101
Win2k client
Wins Server = 192.168.1.1

---

If I say 'smbclient -L //officeserver' it tells me:

.. some shares ..

--Server--
HomeServer
OfficeServer
Office1
Office2
Office3

--Workgroup--
MYWORKGROUP    OfficeServer

If I say 'smbclient -L //homeserver' it tells me:

--Server--
HomeServer
Home1
Home2