[Samba] smbspool to NT printer

Norbert Froese nfroese at cw.bc.ca
Thu Apr 25 19:26:02 GMT 2002

I am trying to set up my Debian(Woody) laptop(HP Omnibood500) to work in
a NT-centric instutution.  I started this with very little understanding
of networks

I can now mount my NT file share without problems (learning alot about
networks in the process) but am having problems with network printing.

I decided to use CUPS but it didn't work.  In an effort to troubleshoot,
I tried to use smbspool directly.

I have the following information:
Print Server Name:   server
Print Server Domain: domain
Print Server IP:     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Printer Name:        printer
My NT username       username
My NT password       password

I did the following

# export DEVICE_URI="smb://username:password@server/printer"
# echo $DEVICE_URI
smb://username:password@server/printer
# smbspool 0 0 0 0 0 mozilla.ps
ERROR: cli_connect() failed...
ERROR: Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...:
Success
ERROR: cli_connect() failed...
ERROR: Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...:
Success
ERROR: cli_connect() failed...
ERROR: Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...:
Success
ERROR: cli_connect() failed...
ERROR: Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...:
Success

The network information I believe is correct because I was able to
print, although inconsistantly, with lprng. It comes straight off a
Windows2000 Printer Test Page

I have tried many variations for the URI without success.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could best troubleshoot this
problem.  Or would I be best off going back to lprng, as I seemed to be
further along trying to get that to work?

Any help would be appreciated.