[Samba] Samba 2.2.1a and Dataflex

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Apr 24 14:38:28 GMT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Bill Clifford wrote:

>             I have been running Samba 2.2.1a (on Mandrake 8.1) as a
> domain controller and document file server for several months at two
> sites without any problems.  I moved my 4gl Dataflex files to a Samba
> share 2 weeks ago and have been experiencing escalating datafile
> corruptions.  The application runs on hundreds of workstations in
> Windows networks for the last 10 years without any file corruptions even
> with power and hardware failures.  Opportunistic locking is an issue
> with Dataflex in Windows networks so I turned oplocks off on the
> Dataflex share (level2 oplocks is also turned off on the share).  I had
> to turn Kernel oplocks off as well to support logon scripts for users
> with more than 8 characters in the name.  Opportunistic locking registry
> settings have been turned off at the clients.  Is there something else I
> should be doing?  I need to solve this quickly as new clients are
> interested in going with Samba rather than Win2K server - if I can't
> make this work in the next week, I will have to abandon hours of work
> learning Samba and go back to Win2K (argh!).

Bill,

You should upgrade to a later version.  2.2.4 should be out soon.
Right now I would recommend trying the latest SAMBA_2_2 cvs code
to see if we have your problem fixed.  If something is still broken,
we will need to get log files and possibly packet traces to
see why.

Details on obtaining SAMBA_2_2 cvs code can be found at
http://samba.org/samba/cvs.html

cheers, jerry