[Samba] help with basics

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Wed Apr 24 05:58:02 GMT 2002

Samba comes with lots of great documentation. In the Slackware install,
you will find it in /usr/doc/samba-2.2.0a/docs/
The documents are split between htmldocs and textdocs directories.

For Win2k, you will have to either modify a registry key that will allow
Windows to use plain text passwords, or you will have to configure samba
to use NetBIOS encrypted passwords.  Procedures for either case can be
found in the docs. The only other things you should need to change from
the sample smb.conf file to get going is the workgroup parameters.  At
that point, you should at least be able to connect to your
Samba Share.