[Samba] data corruption , losetup and smbfs

Dimitris Zilaskos dzila at tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Wed Apr 17 04:03:02 GMT 2002

  Hello ,

 I am experiencing  data corruption when I use loopback mounted
filesystems over smbfs . I mount a share which is in a win2000pro computer
from my slackware 8 , 2.4.18-ac3 and samba 2.2.3a with lfs support box
and I create a large file on it , then I create a fileystem on the file
and mount it with losetup . During operations such as copying files etc I
sometimes get messages like :

EXT2-fs error (device lvm(58,0)): read_block_bitmap: Cannot read block
bitmap - block_group = 1117, block_bitmap = 36601856

( this is from an lvm group consisted of loopback devices , but the same
error occurs in standalone loopback mounted filesystems ) .
  In the archives I saw someone reporting almost the same problem ,
apart from the fact my filesystems are still mountable after those errors.
Running an fsck on them sometimes finds few errors , sometimes no errors
and sometimes ( rarely ) lots of errors . Data is usually slightly
corrupted ,if it is at all .
   I understand this kind of setup is a bit weird , but nevertheless
usefull in my enviroment . I can experiment a lot if someone wants to take
a look at it .

 Kind regards ,

Dimitris Zilaskos

Department of Physics @ Aristotle Univercity of Thessaloniki , Greece