[Samba] data corruption , losetup and smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Apr 17 09:52:26 GMT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Dimitris Zilaskos wrote:

>   Hello ,
>
>  I am experiencing  data corruption when I use loopback mounted
> filesystems over smbfs . I mount a share which is in a win2000pro computer

Yes, loopback and smbfs is currently a bad idea.

There is something with how loopback is calling smbfs that is different
from normal use. It is very easy to trigger the corruption over loopback.

There are some references to nfs in the loopback code and how it makes
things more complicated. It could be locking related. Also, loopback was
broken in early 2.4.x and late 2.3.x, perhaps the fix requires some change
to smbfs.

Other than that I don't know and I don't plan to try and find you until I
have finished some other things.

One place to start could be to compare the write operations in
drivers/block/loop.c with generic_file_write in mm/filemap.c.

>   In the archives I saw someone reporting almost the same problem ,
> apart from the fact my filesystems are still mountable after those errors.

That's probably just luck.

/Urban