[Samba] Checking installed software on Windows boxes

Chris Knadle cknadle at aeroflex.com
Tue Apr 16 12:37:02 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 16 April 2002 13:39, you wrote:
> At 12:34 16/04/2002, you wrote:
> >    The main thing we're getting out of the PDC is the ability to run a
> >     script upon login to track installed software on PC's.
>
> Good Idea to check the installed software on PC's with a script logon.
>
> Could you give me more information on this script? Is it working? How it
> get info from the PC's?

   Unfortunately the script itself is not what is doing the real work.
   When someone logs onto the NT machine, a drive is mapped the startup
script runs a commercial package (Track-It! 4.0) on the client, which then
pushes the information onto the NT PDC.
   This solution has a few problems:

   The script only runs when users log into the PDC.  Some users never turn
off their computers, so the script never gets run.  Also, some users have not
been set up to log into the PDC, and instead they log into their own PC's.
   A better solution would be to allow an update of installed software upon
demand, but that solution was much more costly ($4000 as opposed to about
$400).

   I wouldn't recommend the current solution we're using, since there's no
way of guaranteeing that the information required gets gathered in a timely
manner.

        - Chris

Chris Knadle
cknadle at aeroflex.com