[Samba] why do i have so much trouble accessing an nt box?

chip.wiegand at simrad.com chip.wiegand at simrad.com
Tue Apr 16 09:57:02 GMT 2002

I have, on my desk, a FreeBSD-4.5 box and a NT4 box, connected
to a kvm switch, and ethernet. I have samba installed and working
correctly, and using XFSamba I can see the shares on the NT box.
No matter how I set the permissions on the NT box shared folders,
I get access denied when trying to access those shares from the
FreeBSD box. I also have a printer connected to the FreeBSD box, works
great. I can see the printer in the NT Network Neighborhood, but
cannot get anything to print to it from NT, I get access denied on
the NT box. On the NT box in network neighborhood I can see and
access files on the FreeBSD box without any problems. I have had no
problems with any of this stuff when using FreeBSD and win95 or win98,
only with NT. I do have encrypt passwords = yes set in smb.conf. I am
using Samba-2.2.2_3.

Any ideas why accessing NT is such a pain in the a..?

Regards,
--
Chip Wiegand
Computer Services
chip.wiegand at simrad.com

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
     --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment
Corporation, 1977
 (They why do I have 7? Somebody help me!)