[Samba] Samba v2.2.2 ARP errors in IRIX SYSLOG

lstory at adplex.com lstory at adplex.com
Mon Apr 15 10:21:03 GMT 2002

To whom it may concern,

I am currently running Samba version 2.2.2 on an SGI running 6.5.12f and
had noticed some curiosities and was hoping you could assist.  Below is 2
main questions I have.

(1)  I get the following error within my /var/adm/SYSLOG and I was curious
if it could be a direct correlation to a particular setting in Samba's
smb.conf?  (Detailed below)----------Error---->
Apr 15 09:33:29 4A:houimgo2001 unix: WARNING: ARP: got MAC  address on ef
for BCAST IP address 0.0.0.0

When I do a /usr/samba/bin/testparm -s (to check smb.conf config file for
correctness) the section listed 'socket address' shows a entry of '0.0.0.0'
and I was wondering if the above error I am seeing
is because of this?  If so how do I modify this entry to keep these errors
from occurring? I know this is used by SAMBA in determining which address
it will listen for connections on but I'm not clear if I need to modify it
etc. to get these errors to stop.

(2) Would your latest version (2.2.3) fix or assist in fixing a SGI getting
the following error...
Apr 15 11:42:16 6A:houimgo2001 unix: NFS server: reply error 32

Reason I'm asking is I noticed your new version has fixed winbindd memory
leaks. Since that daemon allows a Samba server added to a Windows domain to
serve file and print services perhaps the above error would disappear even
though it is coming from NFS?

Sincerely,

Lewis

Lewis Story Jr.