[Samba] Shadow passwords

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Wed Apr 10 05:42:02 GMT 2002

> Hi:
>
> I'm getting an ulcer trying to find docs on Linux shadow passwords with the
> Samba encrypt password option.
If you are using encrypted passwords, you do not have to worry about
shadow passwords or not. Samba stores and maintains the encrypted
passwords in a seperate file, compare the "smb passwd file" option in
smb.conf.

> I've searched high and low on this site,
> Redhat's and around the net and the docs that I've found end with "Samba may
> be compiled without support for shadow passwords", as an answer to a
> troubleshooting test! Why couldn't that doc explain how to determine whether
> or not Samba has been compiled with support.

This is probably old stuff: Run configure on your system before your
compaile samba and shadow passwords should be fine. Or use the rpms
tailored for your system.

Christian