[Samba] Shadow passwords

erick erick at quiknet.com
Wed Apr 10 01:27:02 GMT 2002

Hi:

I'm getting an ulcer trying to find docs on Linux shadow passwords with the
Samba encrypt password option. I've searched high and low on this site,
Redhat's and around the net and the docs that I've found end with "Samba may
be compiled without support for shadow passwords", as an answer to a
troubleshooting test! Why couldn't that doc explain how to determine whether
or not Samba has been compiled with support?

I had to deduce that smbpasspw.sh should be pointed at /etc/shadow instead
of /etc/passwd because passwd was empty. It produced a smbpasswd file with
the required 32 character pairs. I am able to change passwords with
smbpasswd, but            $ smbclient  /pogo/public -U user1%secret (I use
the real names at home) and other tests returns the error, "bad
password...".  Pings ok, shares display ok but no access.

RH 7.2 Samba 2.2.1a Win98se

I've run Samba with plaintext before but I want to do it right this time.
It's not like I'm new to Linux. My first distro was Slackware96. I'm getting
desperate though and may have to install the evil reincarnation of VMESS.

Erick Carwood