[Samba] Problem with "passd chat/passwd program"

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 10 03:44:02 GMT 2002

>From: Harry =?iso-8859-1?Q?R=FCter?= <harry_rueter at gmx.de>
>To: Samba List <samba at lists.samba.org>
>Subject: [Samba] Problem with "passd chat/passwd program"
>Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:42:51 +0200
>
>Hi all,
>
>i'm a newbie on this list.
>Greetings to all "old" members.
>
>My problem is, that i can't activate the passwd things
>anyway.

>        unix password sync = Yes
>        passwd program = /usr/local/bin/smbpasswd %u
>        passwd chat =
>*password:*%n\n*password:*%n\n*changed*
>       	passwd chat= debug

Right.....  'unix password sync' is for changing the non-SMB password
(i.e. the one in /etc/passwd (or its equivalent).

This means that you should _not_ be using /usr/local/bin/smbpasswd as
your password program since it only changes the SMB password (in the
smbpasswd file or wherever else) and not the normal (non UNIX) password.

Further, you've set 'passwd chat' twice.  What you meant the second time
was 'passwd chat debug = true'.  Run 'testparm' and look at the output,
and you'll see you've not got the 'passwd chat' you want.

When you request a password change of Samba, and you have 'unix passwd
sync' turned on, then it will do the UNIX bit first and then it will
update the SMBpassword directly itself. (no need to run smbpasswd
yourself, smbd will do that bit for you), but only if the passwd sync
was 100% succesful.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)