[Samba] how to set the password expiration

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri Apr 5 17:36:02 GMT 2002

Vijendra Agarwal wrote:

> hello,
>
> i'm migrating NT4 server to Samba server 2.2.3a
>
> I migrated all users and groups and copied profiles in their respected
> directories in Linux
>
> In NT we can set password expiration time, login time, also restrict a
> user to login from a particular machine, etc..
>
> How can i achieve this in samba enabled LINUX server.
>
> if anyone has any idea of the above please mail me immdtly.

In Samba 2.2, this is best done by ensuring that you keep unix and samba
passwords in sync (ses 'unix password sync' and 'pam password change'
smb.conf options) and use the 'obey pam restrictions' option to pass the
job over to PAM.  Its not as clean as it could be - in particular we
don't always send particuarly helpful error messages, but it should work
for most of what you want to do.

Workstation restictions are available in HEAD, where this whole area is
handled much better.  Configuration is best done via LDAP (due to the
fact that you can manuipulate the attributes directly, or tool's are not
yet up to scrath) in this case.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org