[Samba] WAN name resolution problem

Greg Conway greg at gmlnt.com
Wed Apr 3 14:56:25 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm in the process of replacing the NT 4 Domain Controllers on a client's
three site WAN with Linux Samba Servers. The first Server went in today, and
largly the installation was a success! Phew!

However, I've got an issue with resolving names over the WAN.

On the Linux Samba Server itself, from the primary site, I can ping the
other two NT Servers no problems, using their IP addresses. To ensure I can
also ping using their names, I've added aliases for the two Servers into
/etc/hosts. No problems, from the Server I can ping the Server names no
problem.