[Samba] LDAP SAM - Slow Bind

Adam Herbert aherbert at cci-us.com
Mon Apr 1 15:04:28 GMT 2002

Hey guys,

I'm trying out the new pdb_ldapsam code and I'm having an issue where it
takes sevral seconds to bind to the LDAP server. I've checked reverse
DNS and that's ok. I have other apps on this box that use LDAP and do
not have a pause during the bind.

Any help would be apreciated.

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        netbios name = CALEB
        interfaces = 192.168.102.1
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://caleb.ah.cci-us.com
        pam password change = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 63
        wins support = Yes
        ldap suffix = ou=accounts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
        ldap machine suffix =
ou=hosts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com,ou=accounts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
        ldap user suffix = ou=accounts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
        ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
        ldap ssl = no
        utmp = Yes
        host msdfs = Yes

[home]
        comment = User Home Dirs
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[Data]
        comment = Data Share
        path = /home/data
        read only = No

Here is the debug of smbpasswd:

Initialising global parameters
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter workgroup = HOME
doing parameter netbios name = CALEB
handle_netbios_name: set global_myname to: CALEB
doing parameter interfaces = 192.168.102.1
doing parameter bind interfaces only = Yes
doing parameter update encrypted = Yes
doing parameter obey pam restrictions = Yes
doing parameter passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://caleb.ah.cci-us.com
doing parameter pam password change = Yes
doing parameter domain logons = Yes
doing parameter os level = 63
doing parameter wins support = Yes
doing parameter ldap suffix = ou=accounts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
doing parameter ldap machine suffix =
ou=hosts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com,ou=accounts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
doing parameter ldap user suffix = ou=accounts,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
doing parameter ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com
doing parameter ldap ssl = no
doing parameter utmp = Yes
doing parameter host msdfs = Yes
pm_process() returned Yes
lp_servicenumber: couldn't find homes
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Attempting to find an passdb backend to match
ldapsam:ldap://caleb.ah.cci-us.com (ldapsam)
Found pdb backend ldapsam (at pos 4)
pdb backend ldapsam:ldap://caleb.ah.cci-us.com has a valid init
ldapsam_open_connection: ldap://caleb.ah.cci-us.com
ldap_open_connection: connection opened
ldap_connect_system: Binding to ldap server as
"cn=manager,dc=ah,dc=cci-us,dc=com"

---------------  9 second pause --------------------------------

ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
ldapsam_search_one_user: searching
for:[(&(uid=aherbert)(objectclass=sambaAccount))]
Entry found for user: aherbert
pdb_set_uid: setting uid 500, was -1
pdb_set_gid: setting gid 500, was -1
get_single_attribute: [homeDrive] = [<does not exist>]
homeDrive fell back to
pdb_set_dir_drive: setting dir drive , was NULL
pdb_set_homedir: setting home dir \\%N\, was
pdb_set_homedir: setting home dir sam flag!get_single_attribute:
[scriptPath] = [<does not exist>]
scriptPath fell back to
pdb_set_logon_script: setting logon script , was
pdb_set_profile_path: setting profile path \\%N\\profile, was
pdb_set_profile_path: setting profile path sam
flag!get_single_attribute: [description] = [<does not exist>]
get_single_attribute: [userWorkstations] = [<does not exist>]
pdb_set_rid: setting user rid 2000, was 0
pdb_set_group_rid: setting group rid 2001, was 0
pdb_set_username: setting username aherbert, was
pdb_set_domain: setting domain HOME, was
pdb_set_nt_username: setting nt username aherbert, was
pdb_set_full_name: setting full name Adam Herbert, was
pdb_set_workstations: setting workstations , was
account_policy_get: maximum password age:1814400

-------------------------- Another 9 second pause

ldap_connect_system: succesful connection to the LDAP server
ldapsam_search_one_user: searching
for:[(&(uid=aherbert)(objectclass=sambaAccount))]
Setting entry for user: aherbert
successfully modified uid = aherbert in the LDAP database

   _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/  Adam Herbert
  _/     _/       _/     CCI, Inc
 _/     _/       _/      v615.778.1116
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/     aherbert at cci-us.com