Newbie...config issues/confusion

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Sep 27 15:23:09 GMT 2001

You might want to skip xinetd and just run smbd and nmbd as stand alone
daemons.
smbd -D
nmbd -D
will start them up if they are in you "path"
(echo $PATH to see)
Otherwise, supply the full path name to your daemons.
If they don' start, make sure they are not already running:
ps ax | grep smbd
If they are running, you can use:
killall smbd (provided there is no path in front of smbd).
Be root when you do this.
Boy. You are learning linux and samba at the same time. This is called a
STEEP learning curve.
The fancy startup scripts are nice but you don't have to use them.
Joel