DHCP, Samba and NT Logons

Brock Nanson brock.nanson at home.com
Fri Sep 21 21:26:02 GMT 2001

I'm using a pre-2.2 version, whatever came with Mandrake 7, and have done so
with little problem for the past year or thereabouts.

I've recently attempted to go to Dynamic IP's on my LAN, with limited
success.  My problem seems to be related to the NT-style logons I've got
Samba authenticating for me - they are quirky with DHCP.  DHCPD is
successfully giving me the WINS address (samba), gateway, dns information
etc, but the logons get rejected.

I'm guessing this has to do with netbios to IP resolution on Samba's part...
how do I get around this?  Do I need to run a dns server locally and
dynamically update it with every machine that logs on?

I had a look through the archives for this, without success... but then I
usually find this sort of information after I've solved the problem the hard
way ;-)   I can't believe this hasn't been raised previously....?

R Brock Nanson, P.Eng.
Kamloops BC
Canada