Problem with wildcards and Samba 2.0.6

Andrew.J.Cherry at Cummins.com Andrew.J.Cherry at Cummins.com
Fri Sep 21 16:24:03 GMT 2001

Hello Samba folks-

We've run into a problem with Samba 2.0.6 (also present in 2.0.7) and
wildcard matching for our Windows NT 4.0 clients.  It appears that certain
wildcard expressions matching non-8.3 names fail on Samba 2.0.x while
working correctly with an NT server.

The specific wildcard type that is failing is *.EXT* (where EXT is a
three-letter extension).  This pattern is used to match against ProEngineer
data files, which consist of a filename, a three letter extension, and an
optional version number.  Some example filenames are:

     foo.prt
     foo.prt.1
     foo.prt.2

On a Windows NT client mapped to a Windows NT share containing the above
examples, issuing "dir *.prt*" from a DOS shell will return all three
filenames.  On a Samba 2.0.6 or 2.0.7 server with the same client, "dir
*.prt*" returns "File Not Found".  The  issue for us is that wildcard
expressions like this one are used by a commercial Windows NT application
(mxPro) to display only ProEngineer files when browsing a directory.  The
file browser it uses is a very simple internal one (not the standard
Windows browser) and there is no way to turn off or customize the views, so
the net result is that it always dispalys an empty directory no matter
where you point it.

In the TRANS2_FIND_FIRST2 calls, the wildcard expression appears as "
<.prt*"

I understand that the wildcard matching code has been completely
reorganized in Samba 2.2.0, and indeed, this problem does *not* occur under
Samba 2.2.1a.  But there are a number of reasons we are not yet prepared to
perform a major rollout 2.2.x on our production servers.

Has anyone developed a patch for Samba 2.0.6 or 2.0.7 that works around
this issue (or is it even a known issue)?  I have a network snoop of the
SMB transaction and a level 10 log.smb if anyone wants it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Andrew Cherry
 UNIX System Admin
 Cummins, Inc.