FW: kernel oplocks 2.2.1a

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Mon Sep 17 11:30:02 GMT 2001

Juer Lee wrote:

If your kernel does not support kernel oplocks (or you do not have
them enabled) you cannot use oplocks on a windows client if you
will also change the file under linux/nfs. When oplocks are enabled,
the client caches all changes to the file until the oplock is
broken (by another windows client) or the file is closed. Nothing
is sent to the server for write updates until then. Depending on
the application you use on the client, "saving" the file means
different things.

> Hi, All,
>
> I went through the source code (smbd/files.c) already, I got some
> information about oplocks there, so my previous problem is not the
> problem :)
> But I still have a question:
> If I disable the 'kernel oplocks' and enable 'oplocks', if I edit and
> save a file on Samba client, can I get the changes right away ( using vi
> to open the same file under Linux )? My results are all same when I
> disable or enable 'kernel oplocks'.
> Has anybody experience this problem?
>
> Juer

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177