FW: HP3000 problem

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Oct 31 06:00:13 GMT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 9:00 AM
To: 'Richard Barker'; MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)
Subject: RE: HP3000 problem

Hi Richard;
Are you doing the operations on these files from the MPE prompt, or are you
in the posix shell at the time of the edit/pipe, whatever?  And what MPE
filetype are you working on?  Problem is that samba doesn't know anything
about MPE filetypes (like fixed ascii, binary, etc), and when a posix
program under MPE (like samba) accesses one of these files, it is doing so
thru a 'bytestream emulator' provided by mpe.  DEPENDING on what MPE
filetype the original file is, this emulator is going to add crlf line
termination to the file, etc...  So Unless you are working strictly on
bytestream type files, your results are going to be interesting.  There are
a couple of MPE specific commands (tobyte and frombyte) that will take MPE
typed files and convert them to bytestream and visa versa; you may want to
do this to your files before operating on them from samba...
Just a thought.  You may also want to discuss this with your HP MPE support
folks - they can give you a better feel for exactly what is happening with
the bytestream emulator (part of MPE, not samba)...
Hope this helps,
Don