[OT] Foxpro (was Re: dBase-speedproblem)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Oct 26 08:04:04 GMT 2001

On Friday 26 October 2001 10:42, Alexei Takaseev wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, David M . Stowell wrote:
> > <shameless plug>
> > Are you still using dBase III? Consider that dBase has been considered
> > buggy and slow for at least the decade that I've been working with xBase
> > files. You might consider moving your application to FoxPro if you want
> > more speed, not to mention other advantages...
> > </shameless plug - from a veteran FoxPro programmer>
>
> It is wonderful! Then to you as to veteran FoxPro, I want to address with
> the request: show the adjustments locks for work with FoxPro. And that is
> impossible to me plainly anything - or terrible brakes because of blocking
> files with the data someone from clients, or infringement of indexes, or,
> in the heaviest cases, destruction of integrity dbf.

I've been working with FoxPro for about 5 years and I've never seen these
problems.  Performance is slow on any file-based database, but it's
acceptable with Fox, and I've _never_ seen these corruption problems
you speak of.
Beats the heck out of Access, for sure!
If you need _REAL_ multiuser performance, you need a SQL backend anyway,
whether you're using Fox, or any other front-end programming system.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services