How to enable logging of user actions in samba?

eperez at consultant.com eperez at consultant.com
Thu Oct 25 17:22:04 GMT 2001

Sirs,
A question was arised frorm a friend and I was unable to answer.

How can I enable something in samba that will log the following actions:
1- When a windows machine copies something to the samba server
   what is being copied? filename, lenght etc.
2- When a windows machine DELETES something from the samba share
   filename deleted, user that does the deletion, date.
3- modifications of certain files
   when a windows machine append something to an existing file.
   user that dows the append/overwrite, date.

If this is possible (i really was unable to tell) then we can have a way
to monitor user activities in samba shares.

The question was: If John creates a file in a samba share,
and that share is used by John, Mary and Greg, and Mary deletes
the file (permissions are not the issue here).
 How can I tell that Mary was the one that deleted the
file and the date of deletion, so I dont blame Greg?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Erick Perez
eperez at consultant.com