A bug report

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Oct 26 14:22:23 GMT 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Praise wrote:

> Il 22:02, giovedì 25 ottobre 2001, Urban Widmark ha scritto:
> > On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Praise wrote:
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > I was using Samba 2.0.7, when I noticed a strange thing:
> > > when mounting samba shares on windows machines, if the window machine
> > > crashes while I am surfing the mounted FS my linux machine crashes too,
> > > completely.
> >
> > What do you mean by completely? (yes, I have to ask)
> > Oops? Logfiles? Error messages?
>
> It means that I cant login anymore. My terminal crashes, and I cant login
> from both my keyboard and the network. It does not reply to ping too.
> And nothing appears into logs.

Why do you need to login? Were you not logged in already?

Btw, could you define "surfing"? What program are you using and how?

When it has hung does the caps lock key still toggle the caps lock light?
Apparently, if the caps lock works then the kernel isn't completely dead

If you enable sysrq (disabled on some systems, enable with
echo "1" > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq), can you get any output from that?
How to use it is described in Documentation/sysrq.txt in the kernel
sources.
't' for the process accessing smbfs would be interesting.

You don't say which kernel version you are running. Try upgrading to
2.4.13, and while you are at it perhaps install the "kernel debugger"
(Download a patch from http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/download/ix86/
 get the patch with the version number matching the kernel you use.
 Patch, read the docs included in the patch, re-configure, compile,
 install)

The kernel debugger can show stacktraces of processes, unless the kernel
or hardware is completely dead. The details are listed in the patch but if
I remember correctly you'd do something like 'bt' (backtrace) and it would
print a stacktrace

A trick to decoding stacktraces is to write them to a file and then use
the ksymoops program to decode them for you (works even if smbfs is a
module). A simpler way is to compile smbfs as a non-module and then look
up the values in the System.map.

/Urban