A bug report

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Oct 25 13:02:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Praise wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I was using Samba 2.0.7, when I noticed a strange thing:
> when mounting samba shares on windows machines, if the window machine crashes
> while I am surfing the mounted FS my linux machine crashes too, completely.

What do you mean by completely? (yes, I have to ask)
Oops? Logfiles? Error messages?

Normally (ie the known bug is that) you get Input/Output errors on all
accesses to the mount when the other end dies. Usually umounting, if
possible, helps.

The process accessing the mount when it dies may block for a long time,
possibly making the machine appear dead. It may of course be so that it
actually did die, but I'd like to know how sure you are.

> So I updated it to Samba 2.2.1a. I havent checked if this behavior is changed
> yet (I had no time), but I am trying to install a big software package
> (300Mb) via network (I got a Linux Samba PDC). After a while the whole
> network freezes! (and the windows machine freezes too, or course). No ip
> packed is any more sent on the network after that. I got to run "ifconfig
> eth0 down - ifconfig eth0 up" to make it work again.
> This happens all the time.

That sounds more like a problem with the network card/driver.

/Urban