Upgrading Samba to 2.2.2

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Oct 20 06:38:03 GMT 2001

Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

> Robert Fultz - Lynn University <RFultz at lynn.edu> writes:
>
> >    I'm new to Linux.  I'm looking for other directions and reasons NOT to
> > use Microsoft.  I setup my first RedHat - Linux Server and have been trying
> > to upgrade to Samba 2.2.2 from 2.0.7.  When it runs it says that there a lot
> > of conflicts with some of the files with the previous version of Samba
> > installed.
>
> You're probably trying to install ("rpm -ivh <rpms>") instead of
> update ("rpm -Uvh <rpms>"). Choose the upgrade version.
>
> --
> Trond Eivind Glomsrød
> Red Hat, Inc.

Nope, its becouse RedHat ships about 4 RPMS containing samba, while we
ship just one.  Nobody seems to have goten around to adding a
'obsoletes' line to our RPM.  (I'm assuming that would do the job, I
havn't looked at it closely.)

Just remove all the existing samba RPMS, then install ours.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Samba Team member, Build Farm maintainer        abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net