samba --help

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Oct 17 04:20:03 GMT 2001

Hi Ashok,
I am guessing that you are using the 'homes' section of the smb.conf
to share out your user home directories.  This is going to be a problem;
the individual home directory shares don't actually EXIST until the user
with the appropriate name connects to the samba box; so unless ALL of
your users were connected to samba, the shares wouldn't be available.
What you COULD do, if your home directories are all under the same
unix path (for instance /home), is make an explicit share to that parent
directory, set browseable=no
and make the ONLY valid user for this share your 'superuser', and set him as
an
'admin user' for that share.  Setting him as an admin user for the share
means that
when he accesses files in that share, he will do so as the unix user 'root'.
For instance, if your home directories are under /home  (like
/home/sue,/home/bill,etc...)
and the user that you want to give superuser access to is named 'mike',
your 'super homedir share' would look like:

[superhome]
path=/home
browseable=no
writeable=yes