Record locks from linux clients

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at vialink.com.br
Thu Oct 4 10:48:03 GMT 2001

 From "man smb.conf" (samba 2.2.1a). Bottom line: make your Unix clients
mount remote Unix filesystems via NFS, not SMB.

       posix locking (S)
              The  smbd(8)  daemon  maintains an database of file
              locks obtained by SMB clients.  The default  behav­
              ior  is  to  map  this  internal  database to POSIX
              locks. This means that file locks obtained  by  SMB
              clients  are  consistent  with  those seen by POSIX
              compliant applications accessing the  files  via  a
              non-SMB  method  (e.g.  NFS  or local file access).
              You should never need to disable this parameter.

              Default: posix locking = yes

--
Juan Carlos Castro y Castro | "Standing up to an evil system is
jcastro at vialink.com.br      | exhilarating." -Richard Stallman