WINS ...

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Oct 3 09:03:04 GMT 2001

Hi Anthony,
There are a couple of issues with wins and 2.2.x (in fact they existed with
2.0.x as well):
1. If, at the time that samba attemts to re-register with the wins server,
the connection is
down, then it will NEVER try to re-register again; stopping the netbios
daemon (nmbd) and
restarting it (when a connection to the wins server can be made) will get
this working again;
a fix to this has been proposed, and is expected in the 2.2.2 release.
2. if you have 2 network cards on the same subnet in your samba server, only
the 1st ip address
will be registered with the wins server.  This has been addressed in 2.2.1a.

I apologize, I did not see your original message, so this information may
have nothing to
do with your specific issue.

For cross domain browsing, there are a NUMBER of things that you must
ensure.  There is a
good article on the issues involved in cross-domain/cross-subnet browsing
and wins that you might want to take a look at:

q120151 (ms q-article) at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q120/1/51.asp

also the chapter on browsing in "Using Samba":

http://www.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba

is good.

Hope this helps,
Don