k12 needs suggestions on our first samba problem

Barry Smoke bsmoke at bryant.k12.ar.us
Thu Nov 29 09:38:10 GMT 2001

As I have mentioned before on this list, I am the network Admin for a
k12 public school district.  We have migrated to samba, in order to save
money, and we love it.

We have a situation though, where managing a program under samba, vs.
Novell is a bit harder, and I want some suggestions on how to handle it.

The program is Accelerated Reader, which is a program where students
take quizes, and the quizes are read from a proprietary database(not
sql) that is just a folder on a share.  Quiz results are also posted
here.  We mapped this folder to a drive R:, and it works fine.

Our problem is that sometimes the database needs maintenance, which is
normal for this program....and all users of the have to exit the client
process, in order for the database maintenance program to be able to
run.  Some users do not exit though, and this gives an error while
trying to run the maintenance prog.
Under novell, if we saw that someone was still using the AR program, we
could kill their connection to the server, but since samba restores
sessions automatically, and doesn't show what programs logged in users
are using...this is very difficult to solve.

We need to be able to do something that will kill current connections to
the R: share, but allow the client pc with the datadoctor maintenance
program to connect, and run.  Then when finished, go back to normal.

I had an idea of using 2 different smb.conf files, which could be
interchanged by using a shell script.  It could be done like a RedHat
service script:
service ARmaint start, and service ARmaint stop.

now, what would it need to do to kill connections to just that share?
what would it need to do to allow only the datadocter program to access
share while in maintenance mode?
Is there a command line utility that will list current connections, and
what files are open as on novell's management console?