badtrans virus

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Tue Nov 27 15:52:03 GMT 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:10:36PM -0500, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Here at work I have the mail system configured to bounce messages executable
> attachments, based on a rather long list of possible file extensions.  This
> would work for badtrans, since my understanding is it attaches as a .scr or
> .pif file.

I did have a system in place which stripped mime attachments but it
ended up breaking some people's mail software due to line wrapping.  I
was looking at some other software today to only allow certain types of
attachments through as well.

It would have the added advantage of stripping off multipart/alternative
html attachment.

> Text and gzipped attachments should probably be allowed since some people
> use them to provide debug logs.

Attaching smb.conf seems to be pretty popular as well.

Oh yeah, I finally figured out the correct string to block virus messages
to the list.  My initial string didn't work and another message was
let on to the list.  Sorry.

Tim.
(list admin)