Probems to mount a DFS

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Nov 26 14:36:06 GMT 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Rainer Maximini wrote:
>
> > HiHo
> >
> > If I try to mount a DFS from our Windows 2000 Server on my linux box I
> > only get the top-level structure, all DFS links are empty. How can I
> > mount a DFS?
>
> Neither smbclient nor smbfs support MS-DFS.

I have an idea on how to implement support for smbfs. I was about to say
that it wouldn't be too hard but I won't do that :)

I don't have any DFS servers around. Does anyone have any pointers on how
to setup a NT/2k box to support that?

Or can one machine be many servers in a DFS tree?
(more than one samba server running and listening at different ports, all
 pointing to each other)

This is not important to me personally so if someone else wants to have a
go at this you are welcome. My idea is based on the "smbconnect" thing I
mentioned earlier on this list. Questions will lead to a better
description than this:

Basically when the server responds with a "this is a DFS directory" error
code you call smbconnect on the server it points you to and then you store
that socket in the dentry tree (or inode or in a hash in the superblock).

Whenever you perform some operation you must then check which server to
talk to, for example by looking at the dentry for the "target" operation.

How does rename work between two directories on different DFS servers?
Perhaps it doesn't.

/Urban