Performance problem with combination Samba / Windows 98 Explorer

Arno de Greef adg at chello.nl
Wed Nov 21 12:50:15 GMT 2001

Dear reader,

A few days ago I have installed Suse Linux 7.1 with Samba. Soon I was able
to connect from a windows 98 workstation to the linux machine using samba.
After testing I found that the server was functioning great, however when I
copy files to the samba share using the windows explorer the performance is
about 25% of the performance I get when I copy the same files to the same
share on the same machine using a command-line instruction.
I've searched the internet trying to find out if this is a known problem. I
found that the problem is being discussed on a few sites, however nobody
seems to be able to give a reason or a solution for this problem.

Can you give me a hand ?

Thank you in advance.

Arno de Greef