Spool filename. ( What is the problem? )

Joel Hammer jhammer2 at home.com
Wed Nov 21 11:06:05 GMT 2001

Using samba 2.2.2.
Well, I fooled around some more. I DO see a truncated file name with lpq
when I use:
print command = /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J'%J' %s; rm %s
Now, it is confusing. Even though I restarted smbd with kill -1 (SIGHUP),
this change didn't take effect until I had stopped and restarted Word.

If you set the log level to 6, this appears in the log:

Running the command `/usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J'Microsoft Word - Testing J.doc'
smbprn.000079.qxDL2N; rm smbprn.000079.qxDL2N' gave 0

Ergo, -J is working and the entire windows file name is passed.

If you use this for your print command:

print command = echo %J %p %s  >> /tmp/junkJ; /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J'%J' %s;
rm %s
/tmp/junkJ will have:
Microsoft Word - Log Level one.doc lp smbprn.000086.TEZLS3

I tried to use the pid %j, too, but I couldn't get it to work then. Maybe,
%j isn't defined until after lpr runs.

So, all the info is available that your boss wants to have. You will just
have to be creative in getting this information displayed easily. I don't
see right off how to do this, so, I'll just leave that as an exercise for the reader.

The only drawback to the -J option is now the person sitting at the windows
client will see only a truncated print name in his queue.
Joel