Connection reset by peer

Simon Detheridge simon at widgit.com
Thu Nov 15 07:24:04 GMT 2001

<!-- newbie alert, please be patient ;) -->

Hi,

Having a problem with samba 2.2.1a on Suse 7.3. Things all appear to be
working fine, except for users who use a largeish MSAccess database, and
have it open on their machines all the time. After an indeterminate period
of time, (5-20 mins) they are complaining that it crashes with a
file/network access error.

I tried restarting samba while someone was connected, and it had the same
result so it looks like samba is kicking them off after x period of time.

I was getting a lot of errors re: oplocks so I switched these off, however
I think this was a symptom, not a cause. The two main errors I'm getting
now, are 'could not fetch trust account password for domain x' and
'connection reset by peer'. I'm not sure if the former error has anything
to do with the latter (see long time gap in following log). The last 4
lines of the samba log for one of the affected machines are as follows:

[2001/11/15 14:50:03, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1563)
   domain_client_validate: could not fetch trust account password for
domain WIDGITSOFTWARE
[2001/11/15 14:58:16, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1563)
   domain_client_validate: could not fetch trust account password for
domain WIDGITSOFTWARE
[2001/11/15 14:58:42, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(478)
   read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
[2001/11/15 15:10:04, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(478)
   read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer

This appears to be happening on all machines that have these persistent
connections to the database. Everyone else who uses normal file-sharing
isn't getting the 'connection reset' errors.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm scratching my head on this one.

Thanks,
Simon

smb.conf: (comments removed)

[global]
         workgroup = WIDGITSOFTWARE
         security = domain
         domain logons = yes
         domain master = yes
         encrypt passwords = yes

         os level = 2
         kernel oplocks = No
         level2 oplocks = No
         oplocks = No

         guest account = Nobody
         map to guest = Bad User

         create mask = 0770
         directory mask = 0770

         hosts allow = 192.168.1.

         netbios aliases = FILESERVER

         time server = yes

         deadtime = 0

         unix password sync = yes

         logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
         logon home = \\%L\%U
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m
         printing = LPRNG
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         load printers = Yes
         socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
         interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
         wins support = yes

[netlogon]
         comment = Network Logon Service
         path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon

[profiles]
         comment = Network Profiles Service
         path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
         browseable = Yes
         writeable = Yes

         character set = ISO8859-15
         client code page = 850

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No
         create mask = 0640
         directory mask = 0750
         browseable = Yes
         writeable = Yes

[admin]
         comment = Administration Stuff
         read only = No
         browseable = Yes
         writeable = Yes
         path=/export/raid/adminshare

[development]
         comment = Development Stuff
         read only = No
         browseable = Yes
         writeable = Yes
         path=/export/raid/devshare

[sourcesafe]
	comment = Microsoft Visual Sourcesafe share
	read only = no
	browseable = Yes
	writeable = Yes
	path=/export/raid/sourcesafe