Samba Feature Usage: Does anybody use these options? Can we kill them?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Nov 12 07:53:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > nt smb support
> > This parameter is forced = yes, there is no (known) reason to disable
> > this functionality
>
> 	This option should default to yes, but be retained
> 	for a fixed time after the last report of it
> 	being necessary to turn it off.  My leaky memory
> 	says that was last month...
>
> All the rest sound sane: they're arguably bug-fixes!

We've all talked about the "nt smb support" parameter and to
disable it causes some weird things with clients.   The
wildcard matching stuff from Win98 was one of these.
I would agree with Andrew that it be removed.

One problem that I see happen frequently is that the "oral
tradition of Samba administration" can propogate myths.
For example, the "large readwrite" was an experimental option
previously due to unknown info levels.  These have since
been decoded and so the "large readwrite" parameter should
function correctly.  If it does not it is a bug and we need
to fix it.

However, just the other day i saw someone recommending
that it be disabled due to past experiences.  The "nt smb support"
is the same situation.  It should work, and there is not real
logical reason not to support it. for clients that do.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA  Team             jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org
 http://www.hp.com        Hewlett-Packard