Samba Migration

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Nov 6 17:09:02 GMT 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Stormjumper wrote:

> MOST versions of windows, including all recent ones,
> are capable of using cleartext OR encrypted passwords.

Nope.  You're wrong. *ALL* (not MOST)

> in your case, i think u've to dig in M$ web site for the
> appropriate Win95 patches/updates, to enable encrypted passwords
> for the few misbehaving systems on your network.

Nope wrong again.  See my previous mail.

> Win95.txt specifically contains a section on this,
> near the end of the document.

Nope.  It does not say that old versions of Win95 don't
support encrypted passwords.  Trust me.  Read it again.
The issue is only that pre WinNT4.0 SP3 and old Win95
would gladly downgrade to clear text if the server did
not support password encryption. Newer version releases will
not.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org