Access to string file owner names

Gregor N. Purdy gregor at focusresearch.com
Mon Nov 5 08:34:03 GMT 2001

All --

I'd like to be able to do an 'ls -l' in smbclient and have the user
name show up as it is on the server, but when I look through the code
it looks like libsmbclient is already doing mapping to *nix-style
stat structures, which use uid_ts (ints). I've been rooting around in
the code a bit trying to understand enough to see if I could get
string-oriented owner info, but I haven't yet seen a clear signal that
I can do it.

I'd really like to wrap libsmbclient up in a nice Perl (Inline::C)
wrapper so I can log onto SMB shares and walk their trees from Perl,
but its not worth the time if I can't get this extra info (since I
can quite easily mount the filesystem and walk it that way if I don't
care about the true owner info).

Anyway, if there's some sort of native SMB notion of file stat info
that contains the *server's* notion of the user name, and that info
could be made available via libsmbclient, I think I'd be in business.

Regards,

-- Gregor
/     perl -e 'srand(-2091643526); print chr rand 90 for (0..4)'      \

   Gregor N. Purdy                          gregor at focusresearch.com
   Focus Research, Inc.                http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                   513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                           513-860-3579 fax