smbd cpu spin & Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON

Peter Polkinghorne pjmp at kingsfords.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 07:47:03 GMT 2001

Apologies if this has already been dealt with, but I am over 3 weeks behind on
Samba mailing list reading - but desperately skimming to catch up.

I have just upgraded to 2.2.2 from 2.2.1 in order to combat some runaway smbd
daemons.  This upgrade does not seemed to have helped.  This is a Solaris 2.6
environment. Every time the smbd goes into CPU spin, I notice the following
things:

a) truss -p on the process report nothing happening ie looks like internal loop
not stuck on some system resource).

b) there is a report that complains about sam_logon everytime I have checked
loke the following (in log.smbd):

[2001/11/05 08:36:26, 0, pid=16184, effective(60001, 60001), real(0, 0)]
rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:api_net_sam_logon(208)
  api_net_sam_logon: Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON.
[2001/11/05 08:36:26, 0, pid=16184, effective(60001, 60001), real(0, 0)]
rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_rpcTNP(1204)
  api_rpcTNP: api_netlog_rpc: NET_SAMLOGON failed.

... seen messages about this in the Samba mailing lists, but no answers.

c) Apart from one user (not the same each time), everyone else seems OK.

The other thing that may be unusual about us, is we are using W2K terminal
servers - thus 1 Samba daemon is support multiple users with multiple shares
open.  I have turned up the logging to 3 to try capturing more info.

Current workaround is to kill the offending process and on the whole the users
seem not to complain!

--
Peter Polkinghorne, IT Manager		Kingsford Stacey Blackwell
ppolkinghorne at kingsfords.co.uk		14 Old Square, Lincoln's Inn