Samba+preempt bug in 2.4.13+preempt

vda vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Mon Nov 5 08:19:04 GMT 2001

Hi Samba gurus,
need your suggestions on where to plant debug code in Linux kernel
to stomp on a bug. Please read on:

> I narrowed down Samba weirdness I observe on 2.4.10 to preempt patch.
> Plain 2.4.10 works fine, 2.4.10+preempt (with latency measurement
> turned on) is sometimes oopses, and sometimes reports 'file already
> exists' when I attempt to copy a file from WinNT box to Linux.
> Sometimes it works ok (roughly 50% failure rate)

2.4.13+preempt exhibits the same bug (even without latency measurement
patch). 2.4.13 plain is ok.

nmbd/smbd are started by inetd on my box, and I usually see creation bug
at first attempt to copy file, susequent copies are usually ok.

I have no idea of where I can start planting preempt_disable() and
preempt_enable() in the 2.4.13 to narrow bug location.
Any suggestions? Samba gurus may be more knowledgeable...

Plase CC me, I'm not on the Samba list. Thanks!
--
vda

/etc/inetd.conf (a snippet)
---------------------------
# Samba, an SMB server.
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/smbd
... smbd -l/var/log/samba/smbd.log -s/etc/samba/smb.conf
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/nmbd
... nmbd -l/var/log/samba/nmbd.log -s/etc/samba/smb.conf

(lines with ... have been wrapped by kmail)

/etc/samba/smb.conf
-------------------
# VDA
# This setup allows to connect as guest
# (invalid username -> you are guest)
# Attempt to connect to \\server\username
# will ask for password _for that username_
# even on braindamaged clients which don't
# let user specify username.
#
# Set passwords for users via smbpasswd!
#
# If passwd is ok, you are granted access to /home/username
# Note! To connect under different username, you may need
# to log off and on again on the client machine.
# Yes, M$ is terminally broken.

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# Logging
#0..3 - ERR,WARN,NOTICE,INFO
  log file = /var/log/samba.%m
  max log size = 50
  debug level = 1
  syslog = 1
  syslog only = No

# Browser elections
  workgroup = LINUXWG
  local master = yes
  domain master = yes
  preferred master = yes

# Authenticate users using local Samba
# - VDA: ok. Do we need to enable [netlogon]?
# Set passwords for users via smbpasswd!
  encrypt passwords = yes
  security = share
  # This isn't possible with security=share
  ;;domain logons = yes
  os level = 33
  # If username is invalid, treat him as guest
  map to guest = Bad user
  # Allow users with null passwords to connect
  null passwords = yes
  # Allow logins from Win311/95/98 (weaker security)
  lanman auth = yes

# Guess what is this?
  client code page = 866
  code page directory = /usr/lib/samba/lib/codepages

# ???
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY

#============================ Default share parameters =======================
  # Map guests to which UNIX user?
  guest account = guest
  # Share is visible by default?
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = yes
  ;;??? browse list = yes
  read only = yes
  follow symlinks = yes
  create mode = 0644
  force create mode = 0600
  directory mode = 0755
  force directory mode = 0111
  deadtime = 10

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[-root]
  path = /
  read only = yes
  guest ok = yes
  guest only = no

[-pub]
  path = /pub
  read only = yes
  guest ok = yes
  guest only = yes

[-in]
  path = /pub/in
  read only = no
  guest ok = yes
  guest only = yes

# Special share - replaced by username
# Check that this path is actually accessible by users!!!
[homes]
  path = /home/%S
  only user = yes
  user = %S
  guest ok = no
  read only = no
  # This stops [homes] to be visible itself
  # User shares inherit global setting and hence are visible
  browseable = no
-
the body of a message to majordomo at vger.kernel.org