samba 2.2.0 performance problems on many ro concurrent file access operations

Yaroslav Sokolov yarick at transas.com
Thu May 10 11:29:09 GMT 2001

Hello, all!

Do somebody know what should I do to avoid the next problems?

I compiled and installed samba 2.2.0 final 2 Debian source package.
I have tested it on linux kernel 2.4.4 with Urban's smbfs-2.4.4-oplocks.patch
and without it.
The samba server computer is PIII-700MHz, 100Mb 3Com PCI 3c905C. All tests I
made on reiserFs file system.

Samba server clients are 2 PIII-700MHz computers with win2k sp1 OS, one - 10Mb,
second - 100Mb
3Com PCI 3c905C network cards.

I configured samba well (I hope :) - there were no performance problems
when I concurrently try to
copy several 10-20MB sized files from/to samba server.

Then I start 'ms visual source safe' (in the next - 'vss') on the win2k machines,
and use samba as file server. When I simultaneously start vss's difference
operation - I have serious performance problem. Regulary I watch the next situation:
all smbd processes on the samba server are sleeping, nothing happens abaut 1-2 seconds,
processor average load is about 0.00. Then smbds wake up and continue to work.

The main difference files copying and vss's difference operation is that vss
make too many file open/close operations with reading small block from each file.
Vss's shared directory contains about 26 subdirs with about 700 files in each.
I understand, that there are many files, but why I have the problems with
concurrent access only? I know, that reiserfs is fast enough to serve 2 concurrent
processes read only accessing the same directories.

There is no error or strange messages in log files.

--
					Yaroslav M. Sokolov