Printing on Windows box

Dariusz J. Kawecki dariusz.kawecki at soft-eks.com.pl
Thu May 10 11:45:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

I think this problem could be disscussed here many times but I hope you will
be able to help me

I have got a linux server with Samba (there is a part of smb.conf and
printcap file below). Most workstations work under Win95 or Win98. One of
these Win computers (let's call it PRINTMAN) is connected with a printer and
the printer is shared as BROTHER.

Now, after installing the net printer (//LINUX/brotherlp), while printing
from Win station everithing goes to the directory: /var/spool/samba on linux
server and... that is all. Nothing goes to the printer.

Why? Tell me, please, what should be changed, and what shoud be also written
in printcap, smb.conf and .config file.
I am new to linux and I have tried to read some manuals, books and list
archives but I still cannot configure the printer

Thanks in advance,
Dariusz J. Kawecki

[global]
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
;   path = /var/spool/lpd/brotherlp
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
# /etc/printcap
brotherlp:\
    :lp=/dev/null:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/brotherlp:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:\
    :rm=PRINTMAN          # It's the Windows computer
    :rp=BROTHER            # It's the name of the share